18 November 2022
Wavin AquaCell helped create a sustainable system to manage excess rainwater at Baptcare Retirement Living, Victoria, Australia
Due to climate change, our cities are constantly facing challenges such as floods, droughts, heat stress, groundwater depletion and surface-water pollution, putting tremendous pressure on their civic infrastructure. To tackle these burgeoning and ongoing challenges, we need to adopt future-proof and smart measures that help in building climate-resilient cities designed on a sustainable pattern.
Managing excess water is key to creating climate-resilient cities
Excessive rainfall is one of the aspects of climate change which causes water getting collected at places or just resulting in a full-fledged flood like situation, creating an immediate emergency. Therefore, it is necessary to effectively manage the excessive water to avoid damage to civic infrastructure and provide good living conditions for human beings residing there. Finding a smart and future-proof solution to manage excess water due to heavy rain is key to creating cities that are designed to tackle future challenges arising due to climate change.
Why Wavin AquaCell was the first choice to create a sustainable solution to manage excess water at Baptcare Retirement Living (Victoria, Australia)?
Recently Wavin completed an AquaCell project in the SEA+ region. At Baptcare Retirement Living, Victoria State, Australia, managing excess rainwater was one of the major requirements to create a climate-resilient and sustainable retirement living facility. A solution that can take care of excess water and effectively manage it to create a flood-proof and sustainable system was sought. Wavin’s AquaCell system provided the best fit-solution due to its highly advanced technology that manages excess rainfall and can be assembled to create an underground structure as either a temporary attenuation tank or infiltration soakaway.
These Soakaway crates or attenuation tanks, or on-site detention tanks, are interlocking crate systems that allow surface water to be stored and gradually released to the ground or sewer network slowly. Attenuation and infiltration can help to control the level of surface water, especially in areas prone to flooding or heavy rains.
To create a full proof attenuation and infiltration underground system at Baptcare Retirement Living, two on-site detention tanks (OSD), each having a total volume of 105 m3 min/tank, were installed to create a sustainable excess water management facility that will provide an effective system in green zones for a period of 50 years without requiring any maintenance.
Why Wavin AquaCell is the best choice to create a sustainable attenuation and infiltration underground facility?
- Made of virgin polypropylene, Wavin AquaCell Lite attenuation and infiltration units are modular, robust, and long-lasting and offer service for up to fifty years.
- Being modular and versatile, these units can be used to build underground tanks quickly. Unlike traditional concrete attenuation tanks, these units require no-drying time, less excavation needed, less labor intense and easy to manipulate and position due to light weight
- Wavin AquaCell Lite units are designed and manufactured to withstand typical loading conditions in green zones for a period of 50 years without service.
- It is easy to handle and quick to install.
- It reduces the risk of flooding as it effectively manages excess water.
- It is 100% inspectable, accessible and cleanable.
- It provides controlled release of stormwater into watercourses i.e., sewer systems.
- Can also be used to recharge groundwater.
- It offers a sustainable and cost-effective management of the water environment.
Talk to us...
Talk to us...By phone, email